On the defensive/ The night Matthew Good Called me out.

01/12/2009

PREFACE – I HAVE REPOSTED THIS BLOG AFTER A FEW PEOPLE HAVE ASKED ME ABOUT THE SITUATION. I FEEL WEIRD JUST HAVING IT AS A HIDDEN BLOG, I POSTED IT, SO IT WILL STAY HERE. THOUGH I FEEL THIS DOESN’T MATTER, AS THE TRAFFIC FROM VARIOUS MG FAN SITES HAS FINALLY DIED.

Well, I am home from the Matthew Good show at Centre in the Square. Within 15 seconds of being home, I receive a call from a friend telling me to head to Good’s website as I have been featured in his latest post titled “Douchebag Tweets”. You see, for this to make sense, I have to step back a bit.

I am a long time Matthew Good fan, I’ve seen his show multiple times, and I am an avid hater of people who pay money to hear a band play two or three of their singles. While I say I have a problem with that, I really do not. My problem is the people who cause the show to be unbearable for the songs that they have never heard.

This was a big issue with the show in London. In my anger, and my annoyance, I took it upon myself to tweet (on twitter) multiple times about how annoyed and bothered I was. I also had made a comment about how annoyed I was that the band had come out for the encore playing Giant:

@ErnieBerces – You’d think after over 10 years of doing it, @mattgood would pick a less predictable song to do as first encore.10:16 PM Nov 25th from Twitterrific

Yes, I realize, especially now, how that sounds.

I was not trying to make it sound as if Good was too unoriginal to think of a different song to come out to. I was more stating that it was predictable. There are many bands that have done like things, and I would say the same to them.

The problem is that twitter only allows the most bare bones phrasing to anything. I was annoyed, I worded something the wrong way, it is blown out of proportion. I was foolish and thought that like most everybody else who has a glint of fame, they only use these forums as a means of promotion for their work.

In either case, at tonight’s show (which as I left the venue I claimed and still maintain to be the best show I have ever seen, Matthew Good or Otherwise) the band left the stage for what would signify the end of the “set”, leaving the band to wait for the encore. After about a minute or so, the crowd started to chant the inevitable “K-I-C-K-A-S-S, That’s the way we spell success”. Yes, I rolled my eyes, though still recognizing that it is the most obvious and well working manner for the crowd to signify that they indeed wish for an encore.

Matthew walked out onto stage without the familiar introduction. I was admittedly slightly confused, while still pretty delightful about it. He steps up to the microphone and says “You see, the funny thing about the internet…”. I immediately hit record on my camera to get what I know will be a hilarious story (He was giving them all night, I happen to enjoy the talking as much/more than the songs). He then goes off about internet rumours and the things people have the nerve to say on the internet. He then mentions my tweet along with the phrase, “I know there is a dude here tonight that made a comment about how I opened the encore with Giant in London and, oh God, after 10 years you think I could be more original.”

First off, there is a difference between originality and predictability. Second, Good must have read on the internets that I would be at the show tonight. He was gunning for me, waiting to attack. Either that or he saw that I mentioned him earlier and decided this all in the moment.

I respect that. I do. I have been retweeting the blog posts all week about shithead fans. I also clapped when the guy at the show was called out and told to get a refund and leave. I respect a musical artist standing up for them self, and for what they believe.

I also tweeted some pretty inexcusable things tonight, the statements which were mentioned in Good’s latest blog

“Wearing a matt good shirt to a matt good show is actually like printing the word ‘FAGGOT’ across your forehead.”

I have tried to mellow down the times in which I have been thick headed, and pretentious. I put my foot in my mouth for that one. But I only say this in reference to my derogatory use of the word “faggot”. I do think that 95% of people UNDER the age of 30 wearing a shirt of the band they are there to see is for them to have a sense of superiority over the people who weren’t listening as long as them. People love turning their love of anything into a contest, and I detest it.

EDIT: Let it be known that parts of this blog have been edited as the information is no longer relevant.

{ 36 comments }

bcgal December 1, 2009 at 2:05 am

I see that your name disappeared from the MG website. Interesting blog, but your defense for using the derogatory term for gay person was lame, really lame.

Ernie December 1, 2009 at 2:09 am

It was not a defence, I fully recognize my immature use of the phrase. I am an adult, I regret not using the term “moron” or “loser” instead.

Erin December 1, 2009 at 2:17 am

I had never heard of you before Matt Good blogged about you tonight. It brought to light an interesting observation I’ve been thinking about for some time, about the way social media has changed the way we act, especially in regards to music. It also reminds me of the time my boyfriend said that Trivium was the most terrible band in the world when, unbeknownst to him, the guitarist was walking by at the time. So awkward.

I guess the only thing i took out of your blog post is this: Stop. Just stop trying so hard. How does it make sense to be an “avid hater” of someone who buys the merchandise of the artists they like most? Merch bought at a show is one of the best ways to support a band. If the band you like gets support, he/she/they will continue to make music, which you like. Not a whole lot to hate about that.

Also, new fans are good. Let these fans be new and let them hear songs they’ve never heard before. New fans are only gonna know hello time bomb and everything is automatic. It’s not their fault. Maybe they don’t download music, and their budget hasn’t afforded them a Matthew Good cd yet. Not everyone was born with an entire catalogue of every song that every band YOU like, and live music is the best way to really experience the emotion behind the songs.

In this age, it seems like fans can be an artist’s worst enemy. Try joining a message board for a band you’re interested in. Chances are it’ll be full of pretentious assholes that don’t want to associate themselves with new fans who are curious about the band. Hardcore fans only, 10+ years of listening experience preferred. Please, it’s music, and it’s meant to be enjoyed no matter how often you listen or how into the band you are.

Everyone at the show wanted to see him play, and they didn’t anticipate you judging them like the elitist you STILL appear to be even after this grovelling blog post. Relax, life is too short to attack the people you probably relate to more than most, if you’d take a minute to think about it.

Andrew December 1, 2009 at 2:19 am

“I do think that 95% of people UNDER the age of 30 wearing a shirt of the band they are there to see is for them to have a sense of superiority over the people who weren’t listening as long as them. People love turning their love of anything into a contest, and I detest it.”

I disagree with this.

I’m under 30, I like music more than most people and attend a lot of shows. I would never consider someone wearing a t-shirt of the band performing cool, nor would I think they were trying to be cooler than me. I think they probably just bought the t-shirt… or possibly wore a t-shirt the day of the show for a variety of reasons (their own personal way of getting excited, maybe they will meet a fellow fan attending the show at a bar beforehand and start a conversation, etc). I actually never do this, but that is because I don’t own any band t-shirts… but I have the self confidence not to think I’m being judged by fellow concert attendees in a “superior fan contest”.

With your complaining of predictable sets, annoying fans and whatnot I think you are actually trying to prove to people that you are the superior fan… soooo, I think you should grow up, become a little more self confident and realize that concerts are attended by new and old fans that all want to be satisfied. If you want a b-sides only show I don’t know what to tell you, maybe a fan club only show will happen for superior fans such as yourself… but I bet there will still be newer fans there screaming requests for the hit single… so you’ll likely still complain.

Ernie December 1, 2009 at 2:22 am

I was referring to people buying shirts at shows 10 years ago and then making sure they wear them to shows so people know how cool they are.

As Matt said on stage tonight ( in reference to the refund guy ), ” he had every right to tell me to shut up, I had very right to tell him to leave”

I have every right to voice my opinions about the predictability of Giant, he had every right to “make an example of me”. By giving me exactly what I wanted.

Ernie December 1, 2009 at 2:23 am

See reply above.

Andrew December 1, 2009 at 2:33 am

Do you honestly think people that wear old t-shirts are subtly saying “I am a bigger fan than you, look at my chest!”?

But c’mon… getting mad at people wearing the t-shirt? If Matt Good saw the t-shirt from his first tour it might make him feel good that he has the repeat business after all these years. It could be the fans way of saying thanks… who knows. There are so many reasons for people to wear the shows… 95% of them are wearing them to prover they are superior fans? I don’t think so.

I agree in wanting sets that will leave people who have downloaded five mp3s upset they didn’t play any of the songs they know… but I’ve also gone to concerts were I only knew one album out of five and am happy they played the predictable set of new material. I’ve been the 16 year old who knows 5 songs and the band played all of them and I left happy… I’m sure you’ve been in that situation too… so I think that is a bogus complaint too. If you don’t want a predictable set, don’t go to multiple shows… unless you want the ticket stubs to prove you are superior than the rest of us.

Ernie December 1, 2009 at 2:39 am

I never expected a range of songs between sets on the same tour, I don’t even care what songs are played, I am a fan of them all. I still love the song giant, as I would have sang along with it.

Again, re read what I actually wrote, and not was (most likely unintentionally) misquoted. I said predictable. It was predictable, and I said it was predictable.

I never once called anyone any idiot for liking singles. I have issues with the drunk college kids who jump and throw beer around while hello time bomb is playing, then talk an be overly obnoxious while any album track is played.

I will say this one more time, I NEVER complained about the setlist. I understand how things work.

Andrew December 1, 2009 at 2:55 am

Saying the encore is predictable strikes me as complaining.

Calling crowd members faggots for supporting a band they are fan of, because you have some sort of inferiority complex is worse than calling them an idiot.

Hoping the crowd would be better at one show than the last seems like you have some sort of problem (whether it be drunk college kids of the hipster girl sitting next to you that you were making fun of via twitter… but have since deleted.

But yeah, that is good you don’t have a problem hearing the same songs every night but have a problem that one song has consistently been played in his encore for 10 years.

Jessica December 1, 2009 at 2:58 am

I’m glad to know I’m not the only person bothered by people that wear the merch of bands they’re seeing to gain more credibility. Its horrible at hardcore shows. I’m quite sad I didn’t get a chance to see Matt Good in London. I admire you for writing this blog and I personally think you handled this situation very well.

Ernie December 1, 2009 at 3:01 am

Andrew, again, I’ve covered your points multiple times.

Jessica – thank you for your support, having been a part of the hardcore ‘scene’ in the GTA for many years, most of my frustrations from shows come from the way kids carry themselves in that setting.

The London show had amazing music, but the crowd was unbearable, and Matt also didn’t talk very much, so the set seemed pretty fast, no complaints about that though.

Aphonic December 1, 2009 at 7:07 am

Before I even comment on this situation specifically;

I’m so tired of musicians, the media, celebrities, people everywhere, etc. forgetting that we are allowed to have our own fucking opinions and say what the fuck we want. Be it the word faggot, our opinion about a current government, the way we think people dress / act at a show, ANYTHING. For the simple fact that (I assume most of us reading this) live in countries where it’s their RIGHT to say and think what they want no matter how much people would like to suppress it in the name of religion, political correctness, or eveyone’s general warm fuzzy feeling. Get the fuck over it, people will say things you don’t like or agree with and you can’t do a damn thing about it.

I’m not trying to attack you Ernie or Matt Good’s choice of forum to discuss his displeasure with your comments on your PERSONAL Twitter of blog page. But at the same time, Matt no matter how personal you may take people’s critique of your show or your fans, it’s Ernie’s right to say as he wishes in these forums, no matter how public they may be as they’re HIS. At the same time I understand your desire to defend your fans and musical choices as I would expect any REAL artist to do so and I applaud you for your righteous anger and stones to call him out at your show.

As an artist however, and being in the band Ernie has been in he knows A LOT about criticism, you have to expect a certain amount of it. Be it from fans, other artists, or the media you aren’t always going to agree, like, or understand where people are coming from. I think Matt, the little I know about him, is smart enough to understand this. The internet has opened up an entirely new form of personal / amateur critics, and because of this any artist or fan can now google their little hearts out and find legions of fans and critics alike across the globe to align themselves with. Having said this, just because you’re an artist and have found something you don’t like that has been said about you (more so referencing the choice of encore song here), does not make it right to call someone who has been such a vocal supporter or fan out at a show. Granted it’s your right in free speech just the same to do so. Had you read more completely which I hope you did, Ernie has been quite a vocal supporter and fan of your music for quite some time. Had it not been for him I wouldn’t even have known who you were and I listen to A LOT of music.

So while Ernie may have said some things that may have been critiquing and used some offensive language I think you did an even bigger disservice to yourself and your fans. You made it seem as if they had an opinion that didn’t align with your creative vision it was WRONG and if you found out about it you would and could call them out at any moment during their show. Ernie is a big boy who I know has no problem standing up for his opinions in public or in private forums. But what if you had said it to a fan with a lesser constitution or self esteem? Calling them out on stage at at a show would have DESTROYED them and I’ve seen it happen. Not that I think Matt isn’t entitled to his own opinion and mistakes, but I believe that if a comment is made in a certain medium, it should stay there. Matt could have and should have kept this to Twitter / the internet and attempted to resolve any problems there… at first. If Ernie had become hostile and “more” offensive there then take it to a more public forum and a different medium.

All this to say and again this is just MY opinion and isn’t wrong or right, just because someone says something you don’t agree with or like, doesn’t make it wrong it just makes it different. I think neither were right or wrong in this situation. I think Matt should have initially handled it differently. I don’t think Ernie did anything wrong with voicing his opinions on how Matt’s fans dressed or how Matt chose to play his set. Offensive language or not, it wasn’t directed towards the demographic that the word initially was used to describe and therefore shouldn’t be taken as bigoted in their contexts as I’m sure even Matt has said similar things in his lifetime.

Maximilien December 1, 2009 at 11:44 am

“And if Matt doesn’t take up Ernie’s offer for a face to face I think he’s a coward and a self righteous artist with no need to continue playing music. Again, just MY opinion.”

I do not agree with this statement, as it is quite possible that Matt’s schedule may not allow for such a meeting while he is in Toronto. Recall also that Matt does suffer from an illness (a form of bipolarity, I believe, although someone may want to correct me on this) and we do not know what effects it has on him during the tour.

Ernie December 1, 2009 at 11:49 am

To prove how serious I am, I will be willing to fly to Vancouver whenever both schedules permit to be able to sit down and discuss this, along with other issues I feel are erroneous in various facets of culture, the music industry specifically.

ape December 1, 2009 at 12:35 pm

So you got called out. People always fail to realize that it may be the internet but that doesn’t mean you can’t or shouldn’t be held accountable for what you say.

He called you out on it, kudos to him.

Ernie December 1, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Re read my post. There is a big section of it where I point out how much respect I have that I was called out on it.

misty December 1, 2009 at 12:39 pm

“That being said, the show last night was absolutely amazing. Except for the guys talking in the row behind me during Mother Mother and some of Matt’s songs that they did not know.”

Those are exact the kind of fans Ernie has been referring to all along.

Dan December 1, 2009 at 12:48 pm

About the song Giant. Yes I know Matt has used Giant in his encores since I started to attend shows in 2005, and I really have no problem with it, or see it as a lack of creativity. Have you ever thought that Giant is one of the most popular songs of his career, and there may be 1st time fans in the crowd who have waited to see Giant live? Do you also think Pearl Jam should do the same by cutting out Yellow Ledbetter from every encore they play as well? These songs are popular with fans, and I hope Matt continues to play Giant in the encore. It all comes down to respect. If you don’t like it you don’t have to buy a ticket, and see the show.

Ernie December 1, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I will say this again, to make it clear. I NEVER SAID THAT USE OF THE SONG SHOULD BE LIMITED, NOR THAT USING IT AS THE ENCORE WAS NOT CREATIVE.

predictable
predictable
     adj : possible to foretell [ant: {unpredictable}]

originality
originality
     n 1: the ability to think and act independently
     2: the quality of being new and original (not derived from
        something else) [ant: {unoriginality}]

2 different words, 2 completely different meanings.

Andrew December 1, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Ernie,

The point of my post is this.

You think people wearing old t-shirts is a way for them to feel superior to you… in a contest sort of way.

I think that blogging about how you’ve known the encore for the past ten years (because you’ve been going to shows for so long), making rude comments about fans sitting next to you hoping to hear certain songs (which you know they won’t, because you’re the bigger/more knowledgeable fan). Rolling your eyes to fans that are cheering for an encore song that you know will happen… all of these things are lame posturing, a strange sort of bragging you seem to be doing in the wonderful world of cyberspace. At least the t-shirt wearers have the balls to be boastful “faggots” in real life, and are not hiding behind the internet to do their bragging.

And no, you don’t deserve to meet Matt Good. There are tons of fans that don’t shit on other fans… just because you did and Matt called you out on it doesn’t make you more deserving. Because you aren’t, you are just a rude guy that makes fun of others with derogatory terms by tweeting.

Ernie December 1, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I’ve already met Matt, I’m looking to clear this up with him Mano -ay – Mano. The very fact that you think I am doing this to be able to meet him shows me nothing but ignorance. You think you’re better than me because I think I’m better than people.

I got that.

I said something, Good defended his honour. I’m not permitted to defend my honour and or actions/feelings on the subject?

Incase you don’t know this, Good has made a career out of belitting the choices and decisions of people, and the Government ontop of the music. While I may happen to agree with close to all arguments he makes doesn’t mean that he isn’t doing it.

Aphonic December 1, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Maximilien, you’re an idiot.

Next time Matt is in town there is no reason he cannot reach out to Ernie to come sit and eat with him. Ernie isn’t some fan boy, he’s a fellow musician and someone with an educated opinion, unlike yourself.

On top of that, if Matt calls him out personally Matt has the responsibility to let him rebutt the claims made against him and his actions, or clarify them outside of the internet. Matt is the one who took this to a public forum and now has the responsibility of continuing it until BOTH sides reach a satisfiable or a definite conclusion.

As someone who has been called out on stage before as well albeit by a much less significant person and an admitted personal enemy I think it is the height of cowardice to announce things like that on stage and not allow the party that the words are directed towards confront them on a personal level. Not calling Matt a coward, yet. But he obviously knows how to find Ernie and therefore has the responsibility to personally reach out to him and resolve this.

Jackass. Don’t be mad cause you were one of those kids wearing his shirt at the show.

Andrew December 1, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Matt Good belittles government, wars, etc.

You belittle people for wearing a t-shirt of a band to a concert.

Not even close to the same thing. Matt Good is voicing opinion on global issues, you are nothing more than an internet tough guy who probably made fun of a kid in elementary school for having the wrong brand of backpack.

“The very fact that you think I am doing this to be able to meet him shows me nothing but ignorance.”

I don’t think you tweeted “FAGGOTS” to meet Matt Good… but I think you definitely see an opportunity to talk to the guy and you are exploiting it. In my personal life, I try to have a friends that don’t use derogatory words in conversation. I just find that if they are hanging around me, be it for a few drinks or a supper, I don’t enjoy myself. Your direct tweets to Matt Good have been rude, and in one case offensive to a whole group of people. You have the right to be rude… but I have no idea why he would want to hang out with someone that is offensive.

Andrew December 1, 2009 at 1:20 pm

“Matt is the one who took this to a public forum”

Twitter is a very public forum. Anyone that searched Matt Good could have seen his post about the t-shirt comment. Yes, Matt brought it to many more people… but Ernie is the person who unleashed it in the first place.

eljimmy December 1, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Enjoy your five minutes, it’ll all be over soon. Yes, you may opine as much as you like, that is the beauty of the internet and of forums and blogs etc. It is your use of the word faggot as a derogatory term that is upsetting.

I doubt Matt will ever take you up on your offer on a free meal. He has no reason to. He will forget about you tomorrow.

Aphonic December 1, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Andrew you are an ignorant fuck. I’ll respond to your reply to me first.

Twitter is a public forum, yes. But saying something on Twitter where a MAJORITY of the people at that specific show would have NEVER read those things and calling out Ernie by name (more or less) on stage is a whole different barrel of monkey’s.

The point I was trying to convey was that Matt called him out in public, in person, knowing he was there. Now Matt has the responsibility to let Ernie make things right in person and not abusing his position as an entertainer and behind the mic and being able to make comments without fear of rebuttle from fans because they don’t readily have access to him. If this was him calling out a crowd for being disrespectful thats one thing. But he called out an individual, who is more than capable of meeting him on his terms.

As far as Ernie is concerned. Ernie is no tough guy, internet or otherwise. He’s a fiercly loyal, humble, and passionate person with convictions he is able to voice and back up with no regrets or hesitation. He didn’t call you to come fight him, he called you ignorant. Which he is more than entitled to and I am inclined to agree with him.

As far as your weak constitution to words used in a derogatory sense, that’s your problem. You make a conscious choice to avoid people who use them, however you’re here commenting away and putting yourself around it, which seems to be causing you to be upset far more than Ernie or I. He didn’t direct them directly towards Matt, he just used the @ function on Twitter to mention and link him. Also as Ernie mentioned before, he’s met and talked to Matt before and was posting not as an opportunity to talk to him, hope he responds, etc but simply to voice his opinion.

You’re more than entitled to yours. But you interpreting a series of events to try and justify your own self righteous ignorance to win a comment war is the height of ignorance. Especially when Ernie has admitted incorrect use of an offensive word, has reached out to try and make things right, and having people defend his actions and both Ernie and Matt’s free speech.

Just because someone says something you don’t like doesn’t mean it’s wrong it means they use their freedom of speech how the fuck they want to and if you don’t like it you can go orally pleasure a moose. You’re undereducated, out thought, and fighting a losing battle. Go find something else to do.

Aphonic December 1, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Elijimmy what, you’re so enlightened?

He isn’t doing this for fame you twat (anyone have a problem with that word?).

eljimmy December 1, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I don’t understand why you’re defending Ernie so vehemently, presumably you are a friend of his. Matthew had every right to call out Ernie. When an apparent fan begins to use such an abominable word and to do so to refer to many of Matthew’s fans, I’m sure Matthew saw fit to call this guy out as would/should any artist. He doesn’t have to let Ernie air out his grievances face to face over dinner, Ernie has no such entitlement.

Any Ernie isn’t doing this for the fame? I believe in this post he is trying to use what little notoriety he has now gained in order to have dinner with Matt and the band, even willing to give out his phone number. Like I said, it would be safe to say that Matt has already forgotten about this and is looking ahead to forthcoming shows.

Nice of you to resort to insults though. Especially from someone who claims that someone else is “undereducated”.

I suppose telling someone to orally pleasure a moose is the peak of education?

Aphonic December 1, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Elijimmy:

Of course I’m a friend of his, I’ve known him for years.

As far as Ernie being a fan, his opinions on fans dress and what Matt chose to do on stage and on his website has no bearing on how much of a fan Ernie is. You’re no more pure or better of a fan because you’ve got a clean mouth. That’s one of the stupidest things I’ve seen eluded to in this entire thread.

I’ve also defended Matt’s right to call out anyone any time he so pleases. But in my OPINION if Matt doesn’t let Ernie rebutt him personally then he is a coward. (As of this comment, Matt has PERSONALLY responded to an e-mail Ernie sent him and Ernie has stated he is content with the response, so I’m just replying for my own benefit.) You’re more than entitled to idolize Matt as an artist but to Ernie and I who are both artists and supporters of music in our own rights, but to us he is just another human being with no special consideration because he is an artist of some fame.

Also, again using the tired argument that he’s trying to use a free meal to hang out with Matt and the band. He’s already met him. Isn’t star or awe struck. He’s doing it to provide a forum in which to talk it out (which has been done over e-mail now.) And as the antagonist in this situation he’s being considerate in offering it. As far as Matt Forgetting about this, he obviously hadn’t as he’s responded to Ernie.

As far as my insults, I like them, you fanboy rectal parasite. Just because I’m well educated doesn’t mean I can’t belittle the fanboy faggotry that has pervaded and invaded this thread. It’s entertainment. Now, go give a rim job to your grandma.

Andrew December 1, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Aphonic,

I enjoy that I’m the “ignorant fuck” one when I’m not the one who calls concert goers “FAGGOTS”. Using sexuality as an insult is ignorant. Saying people wear t-shirts to prove they are cooler than you is pathetic and weak and Ernie (and probably you) have poor self-confidence if that wardrobe actually bothers you at a concert.

If Ernie didn’t want his comments made public, he wouldn’t have written @MattGood, he could have locked his twitter profile, he could have texted your personally… he wanted a rise out of Matt Good and probably the fans (which is exactly what he is getting from me). Matt has no “responsibility” to do anything for Ernie. From Ernies public twitter page I can see that Matt wrote him a response… if anything, that is beyond all the is required. If you think making rude comments on twitter is just cause for meeting one of your favorite rock stars… then, I think you should re-think your delusional thought process.

As for my “weak constitution to words used in a derogatory sense” Are you kidding me? It’s cool that FAGGOT is such a handy word in your vocabulary, but FAGGOT, the N-word, Chink, etc. are signs of being ignorant and uneducated. Maybe you don’t use the N-word, but maybe you do… you have such a strong constitution. They are all words that are meant to insult a demographic… sorry if I respect people and I want my friends to be smart enough not to use terms that offend a great deal of people.

I also enjoy your well thought out response of further name calling. Such a good debater. I imagine I am no longer invited to your birthday party?

Aphonic December 1, 2009 at 2:40 pm

The funniest part of all of this is you think I actually give a fuck about this. Faggot faggot faggot. Look a word. It wasn’t directed towards anyone or anything’s sexuality. Is it offensive all on it’s own? Only if you choose to make it so.

As far as fans wearing the bands shirt at a show I can only think of two reasons a person would do it. 1. As he said, to show they’ve been a fan longer / more than you. 2. Because they just bought it and want to align themselves with other uber fans. Neither of which is appealing to me and I am inclined to agree that they’re fucking stupid for doing it.

Twitter is a public forum, we’ve already agreed to this. He did use @mattgood yes. People can search it, yes. Ernie is entitled to post whatever the fuck he wants to, yes. You’re entitled to your own opinion, no matter how much backwards thought you decide to found it on. My opinion on what Matt should do is mine. Your opinion is yours. Speaking from someone who has worked in the business a long time and seen this before I have very strong opinions on protocol and how things should be done. Especially after seeing how these situations have ended in the past (one almost in a girls suicide).

As far as me using faggot, nigger, chink, spic, kike, wop, wet back, ruske, bint, or any other racially or ethnically offensive phrase. Well I do so and without any discrimination even referring to myself with several of them. Which ones I am are not of importance, but it’s my perogative to use them and be as insensitive and offensive as I choose. I don’t respect people, I can be intensely misanthropic at times, and think humanity as a whole is circling a drain, one it dug with it’s own shovel so therefore I don’t owe it any respect or consideration based on race, ethnicity, sexuality, or any other thing you’re born into. How does not using those terms make you any smarter? It just means you made a choice. It has no bearing on your intelligence. You’re afraid of being offensive. I’m not, simple as that.

And again my choice to call names has no bearing on my ability to debate, my responses here have been well thought out, executed, and intelligent. If I choose to do a little mud-slinging whilst doing so I’m more than entitled (and happy) to do so.

As far as my birthday, if I celebrated them, I’d happily invite you as the pinata and to play some marbles with your sad little testicles.

And before anyone goes on calling me an internet tough guy, just stop cause it’s one of the saddest things I see people do online.

Andrew December 1, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Aphonic,

Words have meaning. Faggot, alone, is offensive. Faggot, directed at fans supporting Matt Good by wearing a t-shirt offensive too.

I think with your last post that it is obvious why Matt Good would not want to spend a dinner hanging around you, or Ernie. Especially if Ernie is one of those people who likes to offend and has no common decency as you make yourself and friends out to be. Another fantastic argument. *Slow Clap*

If Matt Good humiliated Ernie to the point he was committing suicide, I think that would be a whole other argument, but he didn’t. All he did was point out that he has a fan who is a “douchebag”. Ernie deserved it. I imagine Ernie won’t be tweeting to Matt Good about his Faggot fans anymore, and that is the end of this. Ernie learned his lesson.

“I don’t respect people, I can be intensely misanthropic at times, and think humanity as a whole is circling a drain, one it dug with it’s own shovel so therefore I don’t owe it any respect or consideration based on race, ethnicity, sexuality, or any other thing you’re born into. How does not using those terms make you any smarter?”

Your mother must be so proud.

Stupid, uneducated people think they are better than someone else and frequently use derogatory terms to feel better about themselves. Yes, it is possible to have a great argument while using insulting names but no one will take you seriously because it makes you sound like a two year old who thinks someone is a poopie-head.

And yes, you are certainly internet tough. It is pathetic. You would almost certainly never go into a gay bar, or a bar filled with black people, etc and use the terms you claim to throw around so freely. You are nothing more than a guy who hides behind his computer and says things in the comfort of your own home around your other trashy friends.

Aphonic December 1, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I’m going to completely ignore the first half of this as we’ve touched on it all many times before. Outside of the fact that I have no desire to hang out with Matt or even see any of his shows. Not a fan, never was, could care less. Initially I was doing this to defend Ernie. Now I’m doing it for my own amusement and to see just how far your ignorance goes, if it’s just surface or if it permeates all the way to the core of your very being.

As far as my mother goes, she is enormously proud of me. I’ve been quite successful in life and my decisions thus far and is a huge supporter of mine. Word up, shout out to mom!

As far as using derogatory words, I never even eluded to the fact that I use them to make myself feel bigger or better. I frequently use them to put myself on an even more level playing field with everyone else. I extremely self depreciating at times, now you’re just spouting baseless accusations about a person you don’t even know. You taking me seriously or not, well you obviously do as you’ve taken time out of your day to respond multiple times (albeit each time you reuse tired arguments and have no new basis for this on-going and now entirely boring thread).

As far as going to a gay bar, a black club, etc. I put on shows at a gay owned bar and club for seven years, called the owner a fag multiple times as well as other gay offensive terms, queen, butch, dyke, etc many many times in their presence. I also put on and worked for a primarily black attended club and never once had a problem when using the word nigga around them because I never used it in a derogatory sense and they knew that. I also know there is a time or place to use it and when to not use it.

eljimmy December 1, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I never claimed to be a more pure fan or a bigger than Ernie, I would have no way of knowing this. I am never a fan of something just to be the most dedicated or the “biggest”. That’s ludicrous.

Again, Ernie has absolutely no entitlement to meeting Matt and Matt has no reason to allow him to have a rebuttal in person. There is no use. What was said has been said. Ernie chose to refer to a number of Matt’s fans as faggots, Matt called him out on it, that’s all there is to it. End.

If Ernie is only using this as a means to have dinner with Matt and “talk it out” what is the point exactly? What is there to talk about? Ernie referred to a collection of Matt’s fans as faggots. There is no defending this. Matthew would likely say what a number of us have already said and that would be that. At least I would imagine he would, I cannot speak personally for Matt. If Matt contacted first you may have an argument that he hasn’t forgotten, but Ernie e-mailed him first and Matt tends to reply to e-mails.

And yes, using racist, bigoted or offensive words does make you appear to be ill-educated. Any educated, rational person would realise that using such words is moronic. I urge you to confront a black person using the term nigger, or a chinese person with the term chink or gook, perhaps call a gay person a faggot in person. I wonder what would happen in these scenarios. Whether you are using them just as a means of insulting or not, we are all aware of the connotations of the words and what they mean. Only a fucking sociopath would consider using these words lightly.

Although, judging by;

“I don’t respect people, I can be intensely misanthropic at times, and think humanity as a whole is circling a drain, one it dug with it’s own shovel so therefore I don’t owe it any respect or consideration based on race, ethnicity, sexuality, or any other thing you’re born into.”

It appears you are an absolute sociopath. Nihilism is tired. Grow up. I’ve read less cliche-ridden drivel from a thirteen year old.

Andrew December 1, 2009 at 3:40 pm

“I’m going to completely ignore the first half of this as we’ve touched on it all many times before.”

Yeah, but then you said how it could end in suicide if the ‘proper protocol’ is not followed. Everything you said is lame and doesn’t hold up to a valid argument. So yeah, lets declare me the winner of that argument.

“Outside of the fact that I have no desire to hang out with Matt or even see any of his shows. Not a fan, never was, could care less. Initially I was doing this to defend Ernie. Now I’m doing it for my own amusement and to see just how far your ignorance goes, if it’s just surface or if it permeates all the way to the core of your very being.”

Please, tell me how I’m being ignorant? Ernie and I had a nice, civil conversation going on, then you brought out moose cock.

“As far as my mother goes, she is enormous”

I’m sure any mom would be proud of someone who has “A profound hatred or distrust of mankind.” What, did she read you zines that are anti-free trade/ 9-11 was an inside job instead of Robert Munch as a child?

“As far as using derogatory words, I never even eluded to the fact that I use them to make myself feel bigger or better.”

That is why they were invented. To put people down.

“I frequently use them to put myself on an even more level playing field with everyone else.”

I highly doubt that anyone thinks you are better than them.

“I extremely self depreciating at times, now you’re just spouting baseless accusations about a person you don’t even know.”

You clearly state in an above post that you use derogatory terms all the time. You claim to associate yourself with people that do. Therefore, this is not a baseless accusation.

“You taking me seriously or not, well you obviously do as you’ve taken time out of your day to respond multiple times (albeit each time you reuse tired arguments and have no new basis for this on-going and now entirely boring thread).”

-I’m at my part time job. I’m here until 5pm. I don’t really take you seriously, but I like to debate. Somehow you think you can win a debate about derogatory words being cool to throw around whenever/wherever.

“As far as going to a gay bar, a black club, etc. I put on shows at a gay owned bar and club for seven years, called the owner a fag multiple times as well as other gay offensive terms, queen, butch, dyke, etc many many times in their presence. I also put on and worked for a primarily black attended club and never once had a problem when using the word nigga around them because I never used it in a derogatory sense and they knew that.”

Bullshit. Bulllllshit.

“I also know there is a time or place to use it and when to not use it.”

And that is what it all boils down to. Ernie used it at the wrong place at the wrong time. Thanks for clearing that up.

“If you’re questioning my ability to back up my toughness in real life, I live in Montreal and am in or around Toronto usually every other month if you’d like to meet up and test out any other theories you may have. However your response to this will be as predictable as the rest of your tired arguments, but if you’d like to surprise me, you know how to do it.”

I live in Halifax. Feel free to visit. I’ll tell you the bar to meet me at and you can come in and you can yell out “I’m looking for the stupid Fag-Nigger Andrew” and I’ll approach you. I promise.

Aphonic December 1, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Elijimmy:

Again tired arguments you completely missed the point on.

I never said using disrespectful and derogatory terms made me seem any more educated. However, I clearly am so my choice to use them has no bearing on my intelligence except in your opinion.

I don’t confront people based on their ethnicity, sexuality, etc. As I said I’m equal opportunity, I hate stupidity of all kinds and it seems you and Andrew are just chock full of it without me knowing anything about your back grounds. You’ve failed to prove any points and just spouted irrational opinions about persons whom you have no control or insight into their outlook or reasoning. I’m surprised I’ve entertained your pathetic excuse for debating as long as I have.

I am quite sociopathic, I never claimed not to be. Nihilism isn’t quite my style but can be amusing at times. Accuse me of what you will but I have no problem owning up to what I am. And unlike Matt, your opinion of me or my friends means absolutely nothing to me.

So, Elijimmy and Andrew, thanks for keeping me entertained, further solidifying my hate for self righteous ill educated morally skewed fanboys and the ability of almost anyone on the internet to have a worthwhile debate or argument. I doubt I’ll be replying anymore as this has ceased to be entertaining and you two cannot seem to come up with anything other than trying to criticize me for things I readily admit and accept about myself.

Good luck in life and try to come up for air every now and then off Matt and eachothers dicks.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: